We provide independent legal advice and assistance to clients with disability and their carers accessing Disability Advocacy NSW for advocacy support throughout most of NSW. We work within the Mid North Coast Legal Centre (MNCLC) legal practice and solicitors are supervised by the Principal Solicitor. We work with people with all types of disability including mental illness.
Some areas of law covered by Disability Law NSW:
- Domestic violence
- Administrative law – including pensions, National Disability Insurance Scheme, benefits, and allowances.
- Government freedom of information and privacy
- Consumer law
- Credit and debt law
- Employment law – including conditions and entitlements
- Minor criminal or criminal processes – limited to advice and referral
- Advice for people with disability subject to Guardianship disputes.
- Advice and assistance in discrimination issues.
- Assistance in obtaining records from the NSW Department of Health and the NSW Department of Education.
- Assistance and advice in relation to Freedom of Information and Privacy claims.
- Assistance and advice in relation to engagement with the Disability Royal Commission.
- Assistance in challenging a decision about the Disability Support Pension.
- Assistance in challenging a Centrelink preclusion period.
- Assistance with an unfair dismissal.
Disability Law NSW cannot provide advice in the following areas of law:
- Property and conveyancing
- Commercial law
- Personal injuries
- Workers Compensation
- Criminal law beyond advice and referral for minor criminal or criminal processes
- Neighbourhood Disputes
Disability Law NSW is also involved in community education, systemic change, law reform and research to ensure that people with disability get a fair treatment.